Cleansing / Detoxing Symptoms & Reactions: What to Do
If You are Feeling Like Hell – That’s a Great Sign That Your Cleanse is Working!
Aren’t You Supposed to Feel Great When Doing a Cleanse?
Headaches Are One of the Biggest Symptoms When Doing a Cleanse
Water – The Best Remedy!
What is a Herxheimer Reaction, Cleansing Reaction and Healing Crisis?
Conditions May Improve Overall
Sometimes it takes several crises to cleanse the offending toxins from the body and stimulate healing. (We recommend using Te Divina Cleanse & Detox Tea on a regular basis).
At times, health problems can improve immediately after a crisis, and at other times, they improve gradually.
A cleansing reaction occurs any time your body is releasing toxins faster than it can eliminate them.
For example, you may stir up an old piece of undigested food that was stuck in the colon, temporarily releasing bacteria and toxins into the bloodstream as the liver works to filter out the excess build-up.
A cleansing reaction is usually a sign that the liver is a bit sluggish and not fully doing its job.
This is also a sign that your body most likely needs regular cleansing every few months or so and a long term change of diet to strengthen its immune system.
If you experience a cleansing reaction, you can try to help speed up the elimination of toxins by:
1. Having a colonic to help flush the colon
2. Doing an enema at home using distilled water (or an organic coffee enema)
3. Taking extra minerals – either liquid minerals, green juice, wheatgrass or green smoothie (depending what type of detox you’re doing)
4. Drinking more water to help flush the kidneys
Usually a cleansing reaction will last a few hours to a day at the most. We do not advise anyone to “tough it out” or suffer through the cleansing process, although the fatigue might last a bit longer.
If you are struggling, make a decision to slow down on your Te Divina Cleanse & Detox Tea or stop for the day (or so), know that only you can make the best and safest detox plan so you don’t put added stress on your elimination organs – your liver, skin, kidneys, colon and lungs.
Listen to your body.
List of Reactions
- HEADACHES – Toxins can cause muscle tightness in the neck and shoulders. This can result in tension headaches. Massaging the neck and shoulders will help relieve the tension. The thickness of the blood also can cause headaches.
- COLD VIRUS or FLU-LIKE SYMPTOMS – Try to drink more water and rest, because once your body is free of toxins.
- MUSCLE TIGHTNESS – Your muscles may become tight and sore due to toxin irritation. Legs can be the worst affected as toxins accumulate in the legs. A self massage, hot baths with Epsom Salt, stretching and gentle exercising will help to release the toxins. Keep exercise light as you need to conserve your electrolytes for the liver.
- NAUSEA – When waste is released too quickly by the lymph glands, some of the toxic overload is taken by the liver and secreted with bile into the stomach. This causes nausea. Drinking water or carrot juice will dilute the bile and toxin mixture helping to flush it from the system.
- BACKACHES – Back pain may increase due to toxins in the lower intestine. The blood vessels that draw nutrients from the colon are very close to the nerves of the spine. Back pain often decreases after elimination of the toxins. Back exercises also can relieve some pain. A cold pack also will help. Using an enema kit will be the best remedy.
- BAD BREATH – Waste passes through the lungs which are an eliminative organ. Brushing the tongue with a tooth brush, using dental floss and rinsing with an organic mouthwash will reduce bad breath.
- CANKERS – These may develop from a toxic buildup in the mouth. Unhealthy bacteria increases between the teeth. The tongue becomes coated with waste. To stop cankers, gargle with apple cider vinegar mixed with water several times daily. Dabbing the sore with tea tree oil or vitamin E quickens the healing process.
- DIARRHEA – This is your body flushing your system. You might find that you have loose stools, frequency to go, or diarrhea within the first few days. Most people do not experience this, however, if you do, make sure that you drink plenty of water, and either reduce your tea amount or see it through for a day or two. Your body should regulate within the 3rd day. If not, please reduce the amount of tea you are drinking.
- BLACKOUTS – During fasting the body conserves energy. The heart pumps slower and blood pressure lowers. The blood is also thicker due to toxins. Standing or moving quickly from a resting position will cause the blood to flow to the legs. For a few seconds, the brain may not get enough oxygen, causing blackouts and dizziness. To stop a blackout get down on one knee or sit. Lowering your center of gravity will instantly stop a blackout. Blackouts are more frequent during water fasting.
- NERVOUSNESS – The elimination of toxins can irritate damaged nerves. Exercise will relieve tension. Try eating some fresh avacado. And keep drinking!
- SKIN DISTURBANCES – The skin may become oily as rancid oils are purged from the body. People with problem-free skin may have a few days of pimples or boils. A pallid complexion is also a sign of waste in the blood. When cleansed of mucus and toxins, the skin will be healthy, soft and unblemished.
- TIREDNESS, FATIGUE & BRAIN FOG– If these symptoms are too much, increase your fresh fruit intake. The tiredness is also caused by the body using most of it’s energy to break down and eliminate the toxins.
- FEELING EMOTIONAL – Something that many people experience when cleansing but isn’t always discussed. There can be a real emotional side of the things that are released. Sadness, anger, frustration, irritation to name just a few emotions that may bubble to the surface. Take the time to go deeper to understand where these might be coming from, and release them. Let the people around you who are possibly seeing you go through this understand it is all part of your cleansing. Try to get into nature, drink as much water as possible, release, forgive and move forwards.
A true healing crisis occurs when the body has been getting stronger and cleaner and is a true sign of progress.
Having an actual healing crisis is more rare than a cleansing reaction.
A healing crisis may mimic any disease or condition you have had in the past, but it’s abbreviated, typically lasting from a few hours to a few days.
In the book The Healing Crisis, Dr. Fife offers simple suggestions on how to listen to your body during a healing crisis. “The symptoms you develop during a crisis will guide you as to what to do…
If you are tired – rest.
For aching muscles, a warm bath and Epsom salt might help.
If you are thirsty – drink.
If you have a fever, your body is trying to build up heat; keep yourself warm and let the heat run its course.
Pain in the lower back is often caused by the kidneys crying for water, rather than the result of being sore back muscles. Drink more water.
If you have diarrhea or are vomiting, the body is trying to empty itself, so don’t try to eat, but drink more water.
You will lose fluids, so you should try to drink water to keep from being dehydrated. Drinking a lot of water during a crisis is usually a good practice because water (especially distilled water) will help to dilute the toxins in the bloodstream and aid their removal.”
The key is to remain calm, focus your mind on healing, and support your body back to health, slowly.
Hering’s Law of Cure
When you’re experiencing a healing crisis, the homeopathic law of cure, also known as Hering’s Law of Cure:
Healing occurs from:
1. The inside-out (meaning the from the internal organs first, then to the joints and skin),
2. From the head down (the body clear symptoms in the head first, then to the trunk, hips and toes), and
3. In the reverse order as the symptoms have appeared (your most recent ailments are cleared first).
This is the process the body goes through when returning to a healthy state, naturally of course.
General Advice for Cleansing/Detox Reactions
- Drink more water
- Do an enema
- Eat a baked potato slowly
- Eat something light or have some fruit juice
- If taking herbs, take a little less.
- Do not allow cleansing reactions to go on for to long at an unbearable rate, there is no need to “tough it”. Just slow it down a little. You can always do another cleanse later, or stretch this one out a bit more.
Everyone experiences their cleanse/detox differently. Even doing the same cleanse over the space of a year, and you may find that one time there was no issues, whilst the next, you are struggling with symptoms.
Know that these do pass, and that the information provided here should hopefully provide you with some great help and tips to ensure your cleanse is as easy and as comfortable as is possible